This is the recipe for Husk restaurant’s Charleston Light Dragoon Punch 1792 by chef Sean Brock in Charleston, SC. Interesting history is that back in the Civil War, soldiers in the Charleston Light Dragoons unit were sometimes paid in alcohol.
It’s sooooooo good. NOTE: SERVES 20. Adjust accordingly
- 2 quarts water (2 cups)
- 7 bags/teaspoons black tea (3 teaspoons)
- 2 cups sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 ½ cups fresh lemon juice (1/3 cup)
- 12.7 fl oz brandy (3 ounces)
- 12.7 fl oz rum (3 ounces)
- 6.4 fl oz peach brandy (1 ½ ounces)
- 20 large ice cubes (6 ice cubes)
- 2 ¾ cups soda water (3/4 cup)
- 20 thin slivers of lemon peel (5 lemon peels)
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium stainless steel saucepan over high heat. Add the tea, remove the pan from the heat and steep the tea for 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea through a tea strainer or a fine-mesh strainer into a 1-gallon container. Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Let the mixture cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, brandy, rum and peach brandy to the tea mixture, cover, and refrigerate until cold. (Tightly covered, the punch base will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.)
- To serve, ladle 3 fl oz of the punch base into each punch cup. Add an ice cube, top off with 1 ½ ounces of soda, and garnish with a sliver of lemon peel.
Need: 1 1/2 lbs brussel spouts, 4 garlic cloves, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt & pepper, jelly roll pan
Jelly roll pans cook food faster so no need to increase the heat for longer at the end like other recipes call for.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half
- Chop up 4 garlic cloves
- Put all ingredients into the jelly roll pan and mix thoroughly
- Put the pan into the middle rack and roast for 35 minutes
The New York Times originally published this article by Jennifer Conlin.
The main highlights:
- Stone Arch Bridge and other activities along the river
- Well known and highly reviewed restaurants and bars
- The Guthrie Theater
- Music ex. Prince tribute night
- Farmers Market and shopping
- Museums ex. American Swedish Institute and Minneapolis Institute of Art
Click the image below for the full article:
[work in progress]
wear workout clothes. Tour has outdoor gyms
1. Lombard Street –
2. Fort Mason – get a view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge from the top of the hill and down the back of the hill. Sprint up and down the hill/stairs
3. Marina Green – outdoor gym areas along the way. Bridge Views
Feel free to pick and choose from the Barcelona Itinerary – https://joshfudietravelblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/barcelona-45-day-vacation/